I came home with a Costco rostissire chicken yesterday (probably not the most perfect Paleo item but so easy, cheap, and yummy I had to get one). After the hubby came home and wanted to do a fishing night with the girls at the creek I thought how yummy chicken salad sounded to either take with us or have when we got home and from there this recipe was born.
The only other time I have made chicken salad was from Pioneer Woman’s cookbook, before we were eating Paleo, but I figuered I could modify it to make it fit – and it was actually way easier than I would’ve thought. Homemade mayo and a little honey instead of sugar was all it took to make this work for us. It was gobbled up by everyone in our house and will make this again for sure. In PW’s recipe she uses half and half mixed with mayonnaise and plain yogurt or sour cream to make the creamy base for the dressing. I just used more mayonnaise and heavy whipping cream to replace that. I am ok with heavy whipping cream – it is the only dairy that I use and the few tablespoons in my coffee in the morning are heaven. If you don’t use any dairy then I’m sure you could leave it out or even just use a little water to thin out the mayonnaise.
I am new to making my own mayonnaise but have been pleasantly surprised how easy it is. I used the version from Everyday Paleo and have learned that using olive oil as opposed to extra-virgin olive oil makes the flavor much milder and the oil flavor is not as strong which in my opinion, makes a much better mayonise.
Try this recipe – you won’t regret it. I ate it on top of a butter lettuce and a red leaf lettuce salad mix – yum! It would be really good in a lettuce wrap too.
Paleo Chicken Salad
Recipe adapted from Pioneer Woman
- 1 cup mayonnaise (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tbs. honey (or to taste)
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken
- 2-3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced (I didn’t have this so I used a small white onion)
- 2-3 cups red/green grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup silvered/sliced almonds, lightly toasted in a small skillet till golden brown
- A small handful of fresh dill, minced (I used dried but highly recommend the fresh!)
1. Stir together the mayonnaise and whipping cream. Add the lemon juice, honey, salt & pepper. Taste and decide if you want to add more of anything.
2. Put chicken, celery, onion, and grapes into a bowl.
3. Pour some of the dressing over the top and then add the almonds and fresh dill.
4. Taste and see if it needs more dressing.
Everyday Paleo’s Mayonaise
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Pinch of cayanne pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup olive oil
1. In a food processor, blend the egg, vinegar, mustard, cayenne pepper, and sea salt for 5 seconds.
2. Continue blending and slowly add the olive oil. Once the olive oil is added, continue blending while you again count to five, turn off the blender or food processor, and the mayo is ready.
This would be a perfect addition to any 4th of July BBQ for Paleo/Non Paleo friends!
Happy 4th of July!