We have more zucchini then we know what to do with and we are all getting tired of cooking it on the BBQ; so I searched Pinterest for a few paleo friendly zucchini bread options. We tried one Sunday morning and it came out way too soggy (probably because there were like 6 eggs in it!) So this morning we tried another recipe and modified it a bit by adding less banana and adding in chocolate chips (gluten free and dairy free of course). And success!! We came up with the yummiest chocolate chip zucchini muffins!
My two little helpers stood and helped while we made these – from putting the muffin liners in the pan to dumping in whatever measuring cup I handed them they stood at the counter and were involved in the whole process. I love that. I love that they love helping me cook and I love that they love food and will eat almost anything I put in front of them. And these muffins are chock full of good stuff for them so while it feels like a treat they are getting good vitamins and minerals from the zucchini, good fat from the coconut oil and almond butter, and just the right amount of sweet from the chocolate chips. Heck, its a perfect snack for me too!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
Recipe adapted from: Hip2Save
Makes: 12 muffins
- 1 C shredded zucchini
- 1 banana, smashed
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 1/4 C coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 C honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 C almond butter
- 1/2 C coconut flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 C. chocolate chips (gluten & dairy free – We used Chocolate Dream found at Raleys)
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line/grease your muffin pan.
2. Mix the first 7 ingredients together.
3. In another bowl mix the remaining ingredients together.
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients then stir in chocolate chips.
5. Mix together and spoon into muffin pan.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Checking with a toothpick that they are done.